Saturday, September 1, 2007

You Smell . . . Pregnant

This is kind of weird, perhaps even TMI. But is there any such thing as TMI on a fertility blog. I think not.

My husband is able to tell when I am pregnant. And he doesn't need betas, an ultrasound, or even a pee stick. Nope. He only needs his nose.

It started with my first pregnancy. He actually didn't figure it out until the second time that I was pregnant and he smelled it again. He says that my breath changes when I am pregnant. I then am a little self conscious about it. Does it smell? Or does it STINK? There is a difference. He said that it is just . . . different. And leaves it at that.

I had kind of forgotten about the smell thing. Until last night, when we were at Safeway, shopping for dinner. He touched my back and leaned in and said, "Can I tell you a secret?"

I wasn't even thinking about pregnancy at that moment - promise. I was actually thinking about whether I wanted grilled hamburgers or chicken for dinner. Of course, that all changed when he looked furtively around to make sure there was no one else in earshot and said, "You smell."

I was a little annoyed. I mean, that isn't a very nice way to tell me that I have BO. And then I looked at his face and realized what he meant. He also clarified with, "You smell like you do when you are pregnant."

I got really excited for a minute, then remembered that one time, on another blog, someone else said that it was the progesterone that men can smell. Well, I am on enough progesterone to certainly confuse even the most discerning of olfactory senses. But then I asked him if I had smelled that way since my last pregnancy, since this is our fourth round of progesterone. He said no.

So, as you can imagine, this only adds to my insanity. 6 DPO. And counting.

4 comments:

Me said...

Now that is impressive!

Sarah said...

I came across your blog searching this very thing. My husband told me the same thing the other day and I thought he was completely NUTS!!!! Maybe there is something to it (crosses fingers). Not due for the unwelcome monthly visitor until 8/14 so its driving me nuts as well. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

sine cole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sine cole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.